HM Revenue – Customs and National Insurance

If you work in the UK, you will need to pay Income Tax on your wages, some of which is tax-free and is called ‘Personal Allowance’.  National Insurance contributions go towards a state pension and other benefits.  When you work for someone, you are employed.  Your employer will put you on their payroll and deduct Income Tax and National Insurance from your wages and pay the HMRC.

When you first start to work in the UK, you will need to fill out the ‘P46 Employee without a P45’ form; your employer should give you this.  Alternatively contact HM Revenue & Customs.  This will ensure you are paying the right tax.

You must also apply for a National Insurance Number.  You can call the Jobcentre Plus National Insurance number allocation service on Tel 0845 600 0643. Lines are open from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm, Monday to Friday.

For more information:

UK Tax & National Insurance

National Insurance 

Jobcentre Plus


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s