Want to work in the UK?
The United Kingdom has a lot to offer and has many beautiful places for you to visit. Whether you are a veterinary surgeon or a veterinary nurse, no matter where you would like to work, there are a few things you will need in order to work in the veterinary industry in the UK:
- Have a valid visa/work permit (if you do not hold a UK passport)
- Register with the RCVS
- Register with HM Revenue & Customs & obtain a National Insurance Number
- See our info pages on opening a bank account, etc
Please visit our pages for lots of useful information.
Visa & Work Permits
If you do not hold a UK passport, you will need a visa or work permit. We have listed a number of links that will help you along the way. There are several visa and work permit options available, but for the veterinary industry the most important ones are:
1. Tier 1 Migrant (General) – this replaced the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
2. Tier 2 Skilled Worker – you will need a sponsor in the UK
Vet Surgeons are currently in the UK’s Shortage Occupation List – Click Here
3. Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme – you will need a sponsor, maintenance funds and be 18-30 years old
Please note that only certain countries have joined the YMS.
4. Ancestral Visa
The length of time you can stay in the UK will depend on the Tier you are eligible for.
For more information:
UK Visas – Click Here
UK Home Office – Click Here
You may want calculate your points for the UK’s Points-Based System (PBS) and see if you are eligible to work in the UK before applying for a visa.
Points-Based Calculator – Click Here
If you prefer someone to help you through the process, you may choose to use a visa and work permit agency who may charge you a fee.
Other useful links:
Australian British High Commission – Click Here
South African British High Commission – Click Here
New Zealand British High Commission – Click Here